NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THE JUST DRIVE PSA CONTEST IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED OR ADMINISTRED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH, YOUTUBE, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, SNAP INC., OR INSTAGRAM.
The Just Drive Contest is an exciting opportunity for young people to promote safe driving among their peers and parents. Students who participate will create a 30-second public service announcement (“PSA”) with a strong empowerment message. Schools that participate will create a social media campaign addressing reckless and distracted driving that promotes the message to Just Drive.
Positive Community Norming. The Just Drive Contest encourages students to adopt the positive community norms framework: an approach that amplifies the positive behaviors and beliefs of drivers and passengers, rather than focusing on risky behaviors. In other words, we want to harness the power of perception—which we know resonates deeply with teens—to cultivate better driving habits and behavior, and ultimately change the culture of driving.
Expanding Messaging. We encourage participants to go beyond addressing phone-use. Behind the wheel distractions include texting and talking on the phone, but can also involve applying makeup, messing around with friends, adjusting the GPS or radio/shuffling the playlist, eating or drinking, or anything that takes your attention away from the task of driving.
We also strongly encourage participants not use the word “accident.” Language affects perception, and we don’t want to perpetuate the notion that car crashes are tragic yet inevitable events, because they often occur due to preventable choices.
THE “JUST DRIVE” CONTEST IS OFFERED ONLY IN CONNECTICUT, MARYLAND AND OHIO, AND IS INTENDED TO PROMOTE NJM’s ONGOING COMMITMENT TO PROVIDING AWARENESS AND EDUCATION REGARDING THE DANGERS OF RECKLESS AND DISTRACTED DRIVING AND POOR DECISION MAKING BEHIND THE WHEEL, WHETHER AS A DRIVER OR PASSENGER. CONTEST OPENS FEBRUARY 1, 2022 AT 12:01 AM EST AND CLOSES APRIL 28, 2022 AT 5:00 PM EST.
The 2022 Just Drive Contest (“Contest”) is open to (1) accredited high schools located in the state of Connecticut, Maryland, and Ohio for Social Media Campaign (“SMC”) entries, and (2) legal residents of Connecticut, Maryland or Ohio, who are between 14 and 22 years of age, and who are enrolled as full-time students at an accredited middle, high school, trade school, college, or university in Connecticut, Maryland or Ohio for Public Service Announcement (“PSA”) entries. Residency, age and current school enrollment will be verified and subject to final determination of eligibility by Impact Teen Drivers. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
The Contest is sponsored by New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company (“Sponsor” or “NJM”), 301 Sullivan Way, West Trenton, NJ 08628. The Contest is administered by Impact Teen Drivers (“Impact”).
Contest Entry Period and Important Dates
Entries must be submitted between February 1, 2022 at 12:01 AM EST, and April 28, 2022 at 5:00 PM EST (“Entry Period”).
- School Participants submitting a Social Media Campaign must register for the Contest by April 8, 2022 at 5:00 PM EST.
- Public Service Announcement (“PSA”) and Social Media Campaign (“SMC”) entries (PSA and SMC entries are “Submissions”) must be submitted by April 28, 2022 at 5:00 PM EST.
- Winners will be notified by Impact Teen Drivers the week of May 23, 2022.
Late, lost, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, illegible, or misdirected Submissions will not be considered, and are void.
How to Enter
Accredited high schools and students who (1) meet the Eligibility requirements in Paragraph 1 above and (2) enter a Submission are considered “Participants” for purposes of these Official Rules. Prior to the close of the Entry Period, Participants must:
- Go to https://justdrivepsa.com and click “Registration” on the top menu bar.
- Select “Student :30 PSA Video Contest” or “School Social Media Campaign Contest” and then click the yellow button to register.
- Complete the appropriate registration form and click “Submit.”
- Enter a Submission. Student Participants must enter a 30-second PSA. School Participants must enter an SMC. PSAs and the video portion of SMCs must be in the form of a YouTube video. Student Participants and School Participants may only enter one Submission.
- Student :30 PSA Video Contest: Log into your account, then select “Click here to submit your entry” to provide the link to your YouTube video. Providing the link to your video does not constitute receipt by Sponsor. Submissions must first be reviewed and approved by Impact. Please allow up to 24 hours for approval.
- School Social Media Campaign Contest: School Participants enter an SMC by emailing JustDrive@impactteendrivers.org with their highlight video and press release.
- Do not include any personal or contact information in your actual Submission.
PSA and SMC Content Rules
PSA and SMC Submissions may not:
- Feature imagery or dialogue that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, dangerous, or libelous.
- Promote bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual, or promote discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
- Depict the use of alcohol or drugs.
- Be created for, or entered into, a previous “Just Drive” contest or any other contest.
- Feature any brand, catchphrase, or logo of any organization, campaign, contest, etc.
- Disparage NJM, Impact, “Just Drive,” or any other person or party affiliated with the Contest or the administration and promotion of Contest.
- Infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity.
PSA Submissions must:
- Be an original work showcasing your idea for a SOLUTION or STRATEGY to address reckless and distracted driving.
- Focus on reckless and distracted driving choices, such as eating while driving, speeding, reaching for an object, talking to passengers, etc.
- Be thirty (30) seconds or less in length.
- Be presented in English for judging purposes.
- Be uploaded to YouTube and publicly accessible.
- Be uploaded on https://justdrivepsa.com.
- Include appropriate cast and crew credits and any backstory of the piece in the description.
- Not include any footage of dangerous or reckless driving, or driving that violates the laws, motor vehicle or otherwise, of Connecticut, Maryland or Ohio.
- Comply with the terms of service and community guidelines for each social media platform that Participant uses to promote the Submission.
- Include written permission from the owner of any imagery, music, lyrics, etc. used in your video. By submitting an entry, Participants agree that they (1) have secured permission to use any imagery, music, lyrics, etc. that they do not own, and (2) are not infringing on another person’s or entity’s ownership rights.
SMC Submissions must:
- Include a distributed press release that has been shared with local stakeholders to promote the SMC on their social media platforms and websites.
- Span at least five days, and last no longer than two weeks.
- Include five (5) original infographics, flyers, or posters that will be shared on the selected social media platforms.
- Include five (5) items that would be considered social media content (e.g., original content providing tips and strategies for keeping drivers and passengers safe inside of the car, such as original captions, photo frames, Tweets, Filters, GIFs, memes, etc).
- Include five (5) PSAs created by students, thirty (30) seconds or less in length. The PSAs must be shared on social media (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.).
- Include a short highlight video summarizing the SMC (no more than three minutes in length), which is uploaded to YouTube.
- Comply with the terms of service and community guidelines for each social media platform that Participant uses to promote the Submission.
Rights to Use and Materials
Sponsor will have the right to edit, publish or otherwise duplicate any Submissions entered into the contest without payment or notification to the Participant. By entering a Submission, Participants agree that they: (1) are entering an original Submission to the Contest; (2) have abided by all guidelines and requirements of the Contest; (3) understand that NJM will have the right to use their Submission when engaging in activities in which the Contest is publicized; and (4) understand that Contest judges’ decisions are final.
Participants further agree that by entering a Submission to the Contest, they grant to Sponsor the right to use the Participant’s Submission for purposes of promoting or operating the Contest, or for any other purpose reasonably needed by Sponsor.
Educational grants must be used toward the purchase of educational supplies and/or the payment of tuition at an accredited educational institution.
Student Participant PSA Submission Prizes
- Student Participants : Three (3) Participants will receive educational grants. The first-place winner will be awarded $5,000. The second-place winner will be awarded $2,500. The third-place winner will be awarded $1,000.
School Participant SMC Submission Prizes
- Four (4) School Participants will receive educational grants. The first-place winner will be awarded $10,000. The second-place winner will be awarded $7,000. The third-place winner will be awarded $2,500. The fourth-place winner will be awarded $2,000.
SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO NOT AWARD AN EDUCATIONAL GRANT IN ANY PRIZE CATEGORY THAT HAS FEWER THAN 30 SUBMISSIONS.
In the event of a tie, the submission that is the most creative, as determined by the judges in their sole discretion, will win the educational grant. The decisions of the judges are final.
Winners will be selected by a panel of judges, whose decisions regarding the Contest and related matters are final. PSA Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- 25% concept/creativity
- 25% technical mastery/execution
- 50% social benefit/effectiveness of messaging (focus on solutions)
Winners will be selected by a panel of judges, whose decisions regarding the Contest and related matters are final. SMC Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- 25% concept/creativity
- 25% execution of the social media campaign
- 50% effectiveness of messaging
Winners will be notified by email the week of May 23, 2022. A published list of winners will also be presented on https://justdrivepsa.com and social media the week of May 23, 2022. Sponsor reserves the right to revoke the announcement and award of any educational grant if the winner(s) cannot produce the required proof of eligibility.
Winners will be required to complete, sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and publicity release within five (5) days of notification (the date email notification is sent), or an alternate winner will be declared. If winners are under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must execute and sign affidavits and releases on the minor’s behalf, including a release approving the minor’s participation in any press events.
Winners agree to conduct any and all media interviews related to the Contest if requested and approved by NJM, and will not disparage NJM, Impact, “Just Drive,” or their partners during interviews. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in forfeiture of any prize awarded.
The return of any electronic prize notification as “undeliverable” will also result in forfeiture of any prize awarded. In the event of forfeiture, an alternate winner may be selected by the judges from the remaining eligible Submissions. Acceptance of any educational grant shall constitute the winner’s agreement and consent that Sponsor may use the winner’s name, address (city and state), likeness, and/or educational grant information for contextual purposes without further payment or consideration, except where prohibited by law, including incorporation of winner into “Just Drive” award publications.
All educational grant awards will be issued upon verification of winner’s (1) identity, (2) school affiliation, and (3) active registration. Parental permission for further contact and provision of actual educational grant award may be required. All taxes on the educational grant are the winner’s responsibility. Prizes are non-transferable and no cash equivalent or substitute will be given. The approximate odds of winning depend on the number of Submissions received.
Other Contest Rules
By entering or participating in the Contest, Participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for electronic hardware, programming, or software malfunctions, or failures, or line connections, accessibility or availability, or technical failures of any kind, or unauthorized human intervention, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of any Submission or other information, or for the failure to capture any such information. Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Participants or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; technical or human error that may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of Submissions. Further, if, for any reason, the Contest cannot be administered as planned by reason of infection by virus, bugs, worms, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest, and select the winner from the Submissions received prior to the action taken or in other such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor.
If the Contest is canceled, or if a winning Participant is unable to participate or their Submission is found ineligible for any reason, the educational award(s) will be forfeited.
Participants must comply with YouTube’s Community Guidelines, which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/howyoutubeworks/policies/community-guidelines/#community-guidelines. Submissions which do not comply with YouTube’s Community Guidelines will be disqualified.
Any personal information of Participants collected during the Contest will be used only for the purpose of judging, notifying winners, and publicizing the Contest.
For a copy of these Official Rules or any legally required list of winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Impact Teen Drivers, 2210 21st Street, Sacramento, CA 95818. Requests for winners list must be postmarked on or before May 31, 2022.
Release and Disputes
By entering the Contest, Participants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Impact, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Inc. and each of the preceding entities’ respective officers, directors, managers, employees, agents, licensors, members, shareholders, insurers and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”), from and against any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever arising from: (1) participation in any aspect of the Contest; (2) the receipt, ownership or use of any prize awarded; and (3) any typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement or offering of any prize. The Released Parties make no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the appearance, safety, or performance of any prize.
Except where prohibited, Participants agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize or grant awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of New Jersey. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, Participant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New Jersey, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules.
Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall Participants be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees. Participants further waive all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.